viernes, 31 de octubre de 2008

SURREALIST cinema; Un chien Andalou

I've been surfing the Internet these past days, looking for ideas for the PHASE 2 project. Working with video it's much more fun (html is ok, but well... it's not the same! :P) and I personally want to be creative. I'm a bit lost and need to define what I want to express, but I'm considering the exploration of two different areas: surrealist cinema and Panopticon theory.

I would like to use some images from the surrealist film Un Perro Andaluz, by spanish director Luis Buñuel. The film has no narrative, in the conventional sense of the word. The chronology of the film is disjointed, jumping from the initial "once upon a time" to "eight years later" without the events or characters changing that much. It uses dream logic that can be described in terms of then-popular freudian free association, presenting a series of tenuously related scenes that attempt to shock the viewer's inner psyche.



And I also would like to relate those ideas to the panopticon concept. In its origins, the Panopticon was a type of prison building designed by English philosopher Jeremy Bentham in 1785. The concept of the design is to allow an observer to observe (-opticon) all (pan-) prisoners without the prisoners being able to tell whether they are being watched, thereby conveying what one architect has called the "sentiment of an invisible omniscense".

I still have to work on these ideas, because I'm not sure if they're gonna fit well in order to produce a video with a little bit of sense. I link here some inspiring links:

No hay comentarios: