jueves, 30 de abril de 2009

An Anecdoted Topography of Chance

The Anecdoted Topography of Chance has been called "arguably the most important and entertaining Artist Book of the post-war period" and a "quasi-autobiographical tour de force."
~



.- by Daniel Spoerri

~

I'm working on my Phase 4, and would like to stop a little bit and talk about Daniel Spoerri's project, Anecdoted Topography of Chance, probably the work which this Swiss/Romanian artist is widley acclaimed and known for author. This project is a literary analog to his snare-pictures, in which he mapped every object located on his table at a particular moment in time, describing each with his personal recollections evoked by the object. Mark has linked this project in the wiki page as possible model for option 2, and I've been exploring it in order to conceive my final project. A brief summary of what this project is about would allow me to explain in detail what I want to do for Phase 4.

Spoerri drew on a "map" the overlapping outlines of all the 80 objects that were lying on the table in a specific moment (October 17, 1961 at exactly 3:47 p.m.). Each object was assigned a number and Spoerri wrote a brief description of each object and the memories or associations it evoked. The descriptions cross referenced other objects on the table which were related. This project
is more than just a catalog of random objects, because if we read it in its entirety, "it provides a coherent and compelling picture of Spoerri's travels, friends and artistic endeavors."

In my case, I won't obviously talk about my travels or friends... but about my other 3 phases and my presentation. My main challenge for this Phase 4 is thus put everything I've done these past 9 or 10 months together, following the project guidelines stated in the wiki page. I will explain further details about how I will connect everything, which are going to be my main ideas and concepts I will be dealing with, and how I will eventually come up with a final product (an html-based project, in this case) to hand in!

~


DANIELSPOERRI.ORG (official website)

TORPEDO- KUNSTBOKHANDELEN (project's review)

AUDIATUR (another project's review)

No hay comentarios: