jueves, 9 de abril de 2009

PHASE 3!

I have my phase 3 done! I have chosen to recreate two domestic spaces (the kitchen and the bathroom) as exclusively sound environments. In one minute, I wanted to express a melody/sound choreography using only the types of sounds people usually do when they are in those spaces. In both cases, the piece starts from no sound at all. Then multiple sounds (layers) start to overlap progressively until the first half of the piece; from that point on, the sounds start to dicrease until we have no sound again. The musical structure of both pieces is thus intended to be a pyramid.
Regarding the "meaning" or interpretation of the pieces, I want my project to be understood in several levels.
First, it makes possible to re-think those domestic spaces as sound environments, easily recognizable without any visual contact. Both pieces play with clicks, water, fire, door sounds... which are elements present in our daily lives.
Moreover, I wanted to create a choreography or a melody using daily life sounds, which helps me to blur the boundaries between the capture and the edition. I wanted the pyramid structure to be easily recognizable.
Lasty, since I wanted to engage this phase with the other 2 and my presentation, the layering is supposed to respond to Borges' metaphor of the labyrinth and my hypertext concepts, in which "all possible outcomes of an event occur at the same time." In my pieces, not all of the sounds begin and stop one after another (linear text), but they keep going/forking and overlapping (hypertext), even though this won't be possible in the traditional use of these spaces (the same person can't have a shower and use the toilet at the same time; nor open the fridge and stir a glass of water).

PIECE A
Space: Bathroom
Elements: door, bathroom fan, tap water, flushing toilet, bathroom
curtain, bath water, bathroom curtain.

PIECE B
Space: Kitchen
Elements: microwave, coffee maker, fridge, extractor fan, oven, pouring
water into a glass, stirring a glass of sugar.

All the material I have used is original, so I didn't need any extra sources. That has helped to make the pieces more similar between each other, and thus more difficult to differenciate capture and edition.

Regarding the capture/edited differences, I think it is not relevant to undertand my project's point (or to make alternative interpretations) to make any difference between which has been edited and which hasn't. Both of them imply an edition and manipulation work. My biggest challege was to create the layering sounds using edition software (in one piece) and the microphone (in the other one) and get a similar pyramid structure. That said, I leave the freedom to guess and interpretate the differences between capture and edition to my fellow students.

No hay comentarios: